Thursday, September 9, 2021

Welcome to the Adventure!

 


Introductions 

Welcome to Mrs. White's Words of Wisdom. I am a nine-year English educator with a passion for children, technology, and taking risks. My teaching career has primarily been based in the Secondary High School setting. I've had the pleasure of working with 9th grade World Lit/Honors World Lit students, 10th grade American Lit/Honors American Lit, 11th grade AP Language and Composition, Reading Composition, and recently the addition of Yearbook Journalism. Simply put, I'm the crazy English teacher that everyone warned you about. Outside of the classroom, I run the Creative Writing club at our school, work as the advisor of our award-winning yearbook, collaborate with faculty members on our school improvement team, and actively participate as a mentor teacher. I enjoy all aspects of the classroom, but am known for my crazy antics regarding school spirit. I never pass up the opportunity to dress up and make my students shake their head and laugh. I think teacher and student moral are essential to learning, and it is the joy of my life to know that I can make a kid's day better, even for a short 75-minute period. 

Blog Purpose

 I have a firm belief that every student has the ability to learn if given the proper care, motivation, and accountability. I am also a firm believer that our educational environment and our students are changing rapidly with the increase and integration of technology into our world. As educators, we can either hop aboard the crazy train and use this new technology to our unique advantage, or spend countless exhausting hours trying to fight against an inevitable change. Personally, I believe in the old saying: "If you can't beat them, join them." But in "joining" our students, it is essential that we, as educators, fulfil our obligations to train students to become life-long learners and successful adults. In a world full of technology, where TikTok has become the central news artery for our students, it is important to demonstrate how to "use our technology powers for good" and seek information that is valuable, accurate, and credible.

 My hope for this blog is to create an open forum of discussions and opinions of "what works", new technologies, and struggles along the way. Just as I stress to my students, new challenges can make us uncomfortable and frustrated; this is proof that we are learning. As educators, we are called to become lifelong learners, and I'm looking forward to sharing my many challenges, victories, and reflections in  the world of Ed Tech. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Not Stealing. It's "Borrowing without Permission"

       Copyright. The one word that every teacher should know, and surprisingly, many do. But over the years, the term copyright has been as...